“God heard” is only one of several accepted translations of the Hebrew name Samuel. Others include “Heard of God,” “Asked of God,” and “God is his name.” We are overjoyed with the arrival of our son, Samuel Marshall Reesor. It didn’t take long to fall in love with him. How can one put these feelings into words? I could not have been prepared to see how Nonie would have to persist and sacrifice in order to give birth to our son. This experience has greatly increased my love for her and my testimony of the Lord’s love and concern for His children.
Although Nonie’s labor was long and difficult, what ultimately characterized the labor was her focus, stamina, and humility. I have never seen anyone do something so difficult, yet there was no preoccupation with the difficulty of the task. I’ve been trying for a long time now to describe it, but words fall so short. If one could see her focused gaze and hear her paced breathing transform for only one moment into a suppressed cry then instantly return to their former state; if one could see her complexion change to purple and her meek eyes swell from three hours of pushing; perhaps then one might begin to understand the struggle she and the Lord entertained to bring our boy safely here.
Seeing Nonie give birth has given me a new respect for women. Having a child can mean walking to Death’s door to get him. I learned that sometimes God chooses not to deliver us from suffering so He can bless us with transcendental joy. I learned that sharing the experience of childbirth as husband and wife can knit the heartstrings still more tightly together. Thank you, Nonie, and thank you, God, for blessing us with a beautiful baby boy!
8 comments:
Hey Nonie,
How's it going? I was reading through your blog and I just want to say congratulations! Having a new spirit in your family is such a wonderful feeling. I was so amazed as I read your labor story. You are such an amazing person to go through all of that. I know that I wouldn't have endured that pain. When I was giving birth to my son I was begging for the drugs after an hour of labor.
It is so fun to see your pictures and see what you are up to. Congratulations again on your new addition.
Angela Coleby Bell
ericplusangela.blogspot.com
I can't help but comment here as well.
Keenan, I identify so strongly with your words, and I'm grateful you were able to describe them so eloquently. We both know that there are no words for this experience.
Congratulations on seeing Nonie through the travail.
It is one thing to give birth naturally, but quite another to handle it with such grace and composure. That is truly a feat! I am impressed, and inspired to try it again- next time without screaming!
Кинан мои поздравления. Очень понравились фотки твоего ребенка. Счатья вам... кстати... как ты назвал его? лень было читать мне твой блог.
Andrey Bondarenko
You GUYS!!!!! He finally came!!! And I guess if his name isn't going to be Sebastian after all, Samuel Marshall is a pretty dang good alternative!! From his pictures he looks absolutely adorable, and what a little bundle of joy! Keep bloggin' so that I can check in every once in a while. I leave for good ol' Kalamazoo TOMORROW! Good luck with California and all of your new adventures. Congrats a million times on being parents and all that goes with it.
Congratulations Nonie on the birth of your baby boy. He is beautiful. You are going to be wonderful parents who will fill Samuel's life with love. I am happy to see that you survived your labor. Natural childbirth is painful but I also have never felt so close to God than when I was bringing a child into the earth. Good luck and thank you for your influence in our daughter's life.
Christine Adams
Wow, that was quite an ordeal. Sorry to hear that those doctors were pushing for a C-section. They were pushing for one with my wife, too. Argh, doctors are evil. :)
oh my...what a touching post. your perspective on life is inspiring and dead on. congratulations, you two! i am truly so happy for you both!
Post a Comment